Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday yard work...

It is a beautiful day today, mid seventies, big puffy clouds meandering across the azure sky, gentle breeze, perfect, just perfect for playing yard slave. After I returned from running my usual Saturday morning errands, I cleaned all the fallen leaves from the gardens and beds, then fired up the lawn mower and chased it around the grounds for two hours. Then I cleaned up around the edges, then I dug out all the roots left from the old spruce tree we took down a few months ago, raked out the area, added some top soil and spread some grass seed and watered it down. With a little luck, I'll have even more grass to mow in a few weeks. I also fertilized the new trees across the front of the property to help them make it through the winter. And after I take a break, I'm going to start cleaning out the cactus bed. I'm sure I'll be scraping spines out of my hands and arms all night.
The grounds are slowly undergoing a transformation. I'm replacing perennial beds with shrubberies, getting rid of old, overgrown deciduous trees and replacing them with evergreens and will be replacing all the lawn on the western side of the house with fern, bluebells, hosta and other shade lovers, also putting in a nice stepping stone walkway and some sort of garden art. Don't know what yet, I've been thinking about making something interesting, like a slightly larger than life-sized winged cat, mounted on a springy piece of steel rod so it sways in the breeze. Or maybe a nice, whimsical gargoyle.
Well, there's no rest for the wicked, it's back to work.
Be well.

sow what you will...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home