Saturday, March 7, 2009

spring is sprung...

sort of... it's in the high fifties right now, breezy and high clouds. Perfect weather for yard work. I raked and cleaned up the Western side of the grounds proper, cleaned out the kitchen yard annual beds and the foundation plantings. I also pruned the Crape Myrtles, getting rid of all the suckers and inward growing branches and pruned off all the growth up to about five feet high so they form a canopy this year and I can put some solar lighting under them to accent their form. They have a wonderful peeling bark that looks nice and the pruning will open up the area underneath for some base plantings.
The Autumn Sedum, Bearded Iris, Daffodils and the Day Lilies are all poking up, checking things out. My Coral Bells seem to have survived another winter. The Acuba have suffered a little winter burn, as have some of the new Thuja plantings across the front of the property, but nothing that will stunt them, I'm sure.
Tomorrow its more pruning, I have to lift the canopy of some Hemlocks that line the drive so the Mock Orange hedges get a little more light and airflow.
I love this time of year, it's unpredictable, and a tease, but it sets my green thumb to throbbing and I just have to get out and play in the soil.



sow what you will...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home