Sunday, May 10, 2009

Planting time...

Even though today had steady winds of 15 to 20 miles per hour, with higher gusts, I spent four hours planting all my annuals and herbs. One flat of orange Marigolds, to flats of deep Burgundy Petunias, three Lobelias, a few annual golden Sedum, a Citronella plant, some Moon flowers for the trellis, some Rosemary and a few more grape tomatoes. I converted the bed where the Day lilies were to a kitchen herb garden, lots of sun and it's up against a South facing wall, so they should do well, and I added a few rows of the Marigolds, just to try to keep the bunnies away.


Golden Sedum - click to enlarge...


The Iris are on the verge of flowering and the Rhododendron is starting to flower. I purchased it because the tag said it had white flowers, but they're the magenta variety. So be it, they're still pretty. No buds on my Azalea yet, though. Lots and lots of new growth, but no buds.
The perennial mums are growing like mad, I pinched them back this morning to start them growing into a mound before they get too tall. I hope I didn't wait too long to start doing that, they're shooting up like crazy.
The Rose Campion is doing well, I love their little rose pink flowers and interesting seed capsules, that look like little urns with frilly edges. They self seed well, they've been growing in the back door garden for about fifteen years. I have to move them sometimes, since they sprout up everywhere, but the suffer transplanting well and, being biennial, they grow into nice, fuzzy ground hugging rosettes, then the next year they send up flowering stalks. Very light and airy plants, the also hold up pretty good in the wind.


Rose Campion - click to enlarge...


Campion seed capsules - click to enlarge...




The rest of the evergreens in the foundation planting I did last year are doing good, the yews are almost twice the size as when I planted them.
I also did the first official mowing of the grounds yesterday, the past few times I just topped it, but this time I did a full scale cutting and it looks great. All the new grass I put in last year is nice and full. The area where the pool used to be is looking less like a crop circle than it did last year.
Well, it's time to get ready to go out to dinner over a friend's house for Mother's Day with Mrs. SOG.
Be well.



sow what you will...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home