Saturday, June 6, 2009

wood butchery...


I cut all the blanks for the shelf brackets last weekend, but didn't have the chance to work on them again until today. I routed the dadoes in the blanks for the wall pieces, then ripped those and the horizontal pieces to width. I took a break from the brackets after that to make the trim for the living room door, which I've been avoiding doing until we found a new Arts and Crafts style door, but funds don't allow that at the moment, so I'm going to just paint the inside of the existing 15 light French door so it matches the rest of the trim and leave it at that for now. I'll paint and install the trim tomorrow, then paint the door during the week. After I get done with the door trim, it's time to play with the drill press for a while, drilling the insets for the buttons and countersinks in the pieces of the brackets, then predrilling all the screw holes. Then I'll prime all the pieces and then assemble them. I'll finish paint them before I install them. This is coming together well, in spite of interruptions. I will have the door painted, door trim installed and the shelf brackets and ledger strips mounted next weekend, then it's time to start on the shelves. I'm going to use three quarter birch ply with an edge strip for some added strength, those books and albums weigh a ton. After the July 4th weekend, I'll start on the library ladder so we can reach everything. I was really wanting one of those rolling jobs, but there's not enough uninterrupted space under the shelves to warrant the effort and expense. I think I might try one of these -



Looks easy enough to knock off once I figure out the folding mechanism. But that's for another day.
Time to kick back with a few brews before dinner, Mrs. SOG has some tasty smelling steaks going on Grillzilla...



sow what you will...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home